We are pleased to announce that the 7th Language Creation Conference will take place July 22-23, 2017 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada at the University of Calgary.
Your local hosts will be Joseph W. Windsor and Dr. Christine Schreyer.
- LCS Members: USD$35 (Canada CAD$50)
- Non-Members: USD$50 (Canada CAD$70)If you wish to become an LCS Member, the Annual Membership Fee is USD$35 (CAD$50); for students, USD$25 (CAD$35)
Speakers and Presenters — the schedule of speakers and presentations is here.
Schedule — The schedule worked out so far is as follows:
- Friday, July 21: Social event at local pub starting at 6pm till people decide to leave.
- Saturday, July 22: Registration will open at about 8:15am with opening remarks at 8:55am and the first talk at 9am. This will be a full day which will be capped off with a screening of the new documentary Conlanging: The Art of Crafting Tongues that evening at 7:30pm plus an after-party.
- Sunday, July 23: Since it’ll be a late night on Saturday, registration will be open at 9:30am with the first talk of the day at 10am. We plan to finish up the day with the LCC7 Conlang Relay presentation(s) which should end around 5:15-5:30pm.
A special rate for LCS attendees has been negotiated with the Hotel Alma, the on-campus hotel at the University of Calgary. Details and contact information are on this information page.
Information on additional lodging options can be found here.
We have prepared an information page here on getting to and from the airport as well as getting around the city of Calgary.
The University of Calgary campus
Information about the UCalgary campus, including amenities, WiFi access, security, and other campus resources can be found on this page.
Code of Conduct — The LCS expects all attendees to abide by the LCC Code of Conduct.
Join the LCC7 Mailing List
If you are planning to attend the LCC7, whether in person or remotely, don’t hesitate to join the LCC7 mailing list: firstname.lastname@example.org, which you can subscribe to via this webpage: http://lists.conlang.org/listinfo.cgi/lcc7-info-conlang.org. You can use this mailing list to ask us and/or the local hosts questions, discuss relevant ideas, or even plan your trip together with other attendees. Any discussion relevant to the LCC7 is OK.
About the LCC
The Language Creation Conference is an international conference discussing issues related to the craft of language creation, or “conlanging”. It includes both fairly technical linguistic discussions as well as more artistic, sociological, or philosophical ones; examples of craft in action; voices from many parts of the conlanging community; and people from all over the world. The conference is open to the public. Preregistration requested. Lunch, snacks, and opportunities to socialize with fellow conlangers will be provided. All proceeds go to the LCS.
We welcome members of the press and will assist you in researching a story about conlangs or conlangers. Press registration is the same as for any other attendee, but we ask that you identify yourself publicly and briefly let the audience know your affiliation(s) and what you are working on.