The LCS offers free, permanent web hosting and naming services to members and any community projects.
What you get:
- 2 firstname.lastname@example.org emails (fully hosted or just redirected)
- secure Jabber IM support for both emails (same protocol as e.g. Gmail chat uses, fully interoperable, and usable in any good IM client, like Adium or Trillian)
- 2 yourproject.conlang.org subdomains, each with:
- unlimited hard drive space
- unlimited GB/mo bandwidth
- 1 SSH/SFTP user
- unlimited email@example.com emails, hosted by Gmail or DreamHost
- 1 subversion repository with unlimited accounts, public or private
- 1 MySQL database
- 1 announce or discussion mailing list
- free installation of WordPress, MediaWiki, and many others(please inquire)
- ability to self-install anything else that runs or compiles on Unix (and doesn’t require persistent daemons or root access), e.g. HTML, PHP, CGI, Java, or Rails-based websites
- all of this permanent (or as close to it as we can manage)
- web-based Secure Shell (SSH) login, for when you want to change your site but you don’t have access to a standard client
You can also get the subdomains and emails separate from hosting, and point them at your existing servers (like cals.conlang.org does) either via a mirror or a redirect.
We can increase any of these default quota limits if you have a good reason to do so. Please ask if you believe you need more than the defaults. Please note also that projects you host with us that are community-oriented (rather than personal) do not count against your quotas.
- Hosting is provided only for LCS members, or projects that benefit the community at large.
- All content we host must be for a something.conlang.org subdomain and have a significant conlang-related portion (we don’t mind if you have other personal stuff there too, but you can’t e.g. have a subdomain that has nothing to do with conlanging).
- We do not monitor or regulate content in any way, otherwise; any disputes about it are between you, the complainer, and DreamHost.
- You don’t get root / sudo access or the ability to run daemons; you will be on a shared host. However, you can still compile and run nearly anything you want in userspace.
- You must abide by DreamHost’s terms of service (in particular, the “Unlimited” space / bandwidth policy).
- Other than free installs per above, we do not provide any help with website management or the like. However, you do have access to DreamHost customer support for things they cover.
- If provided as a member service and you cease being a member in good standing, your content will still stay up permanently (unless you ask us to take it down), but we will revoke your access rights. We also reserve the right to access and possibly modify your content to administer upgrades to wordpress plugins and themes, to delete spam from your database, and to otherwise keep your site secure.
- Persistent processes have a 19.2MB memory limit; if they exceed this for more than a few minutes, they might be killed. This is unlikely to affect anything other than database-intensive web2.0 style sites which need their own processes, e.g. that use Ruby on Rails / mod_rails. If your application needs more than this (and it likely will not) please contact us to discuss whether we could sponsor a VPS solution for you.
If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please use this form.